Old May 13th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Anumber1

Default Starter motors and alternators - which to buy?

wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is an ignorant question I'm hoping there is an easy answer to:
> who makes the decisions when it comes to which brand of starter motor
> or alternator?
>
> Is it the auto electrician himself? Do they have preferred suppliers
> and are they incentivised to stick with them?
>
> Do consumers have any say in which brand they should choose from?
>
> Stu

Rebuild the OEM part. An alternator or starter is cheap to have rebuilt
at a local auto electric re-builder (there are three in my neck of the
woods in a fairly small town).

Brushes and diodes are cheap and a good auto electric shop will make the
original part good as new for half the price of the off-shore "rebuild"
that you buy from a chain autoparts store (that may or may not have been
done "well")

It is not as convenient as going to autozone but will outlast anything
they offer, lifetime warranty or not.
Al