Old February 14th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

Default P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

The HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION error means that the built-in heater inside
the sensor has failed. The only recovery from this is to replace the
affected sensor. Having said that, this is not an error that should result
in your car shutting down.

The sensor works when it has reached a certain temp. This temp will easily
be reached through the passing of the exhaust stream, but the rise-time is
too slow. The computer wants to see a valid input faster than exhaust stream
will heat the sensor -- the problem here is that the sensor is needed to
reduce smog, and a cold sensor will not reduce smog so they heat it by
internal means to get it to work. The internal heater is broken.

Neither code you reported should shut the car down. Of the two, the second
might result in the car reverting to Limp Mode, where it runs crappy -- and
rich (too much gas is fed).

ups.com...