Old April 16th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

Default 2001 Grand Cherokee

On Apr 15, 2:35*pm, Lon > wrote:
> On 4/13/2012 22:37, Budd Cochran wrote:
>

> > > *wrote in message

> >> Most of the "special" oils for high mileage engines are aimed at
> >> non-roller
> >> lifter engines (solid lifter or old style hydraulic lifters) and contain
> >> zinc additives to lube the cam and lifter contact points ... actually,
> >> they're just old timey oils with a higher pice tag.

> >> I don't know much on the 4.7, but if it's a roller lifter engine there's
> >> no
> >> need for the zinc additive.

> >> As for longevity, keep it tuned, lubed, cleaned and don't abuse it and
> >> it'll
> >> last longer ... simple as that.

> >> Budd

> > Thanks for that advice...

> > I googled Jeep GC reliability and came across what appears to be two
> > persistent problems....front rotors and something about blend door
> > failure that plague the limited. * The front rotor problem I
> > experienced just after the warranty expired. *Not sure but I might be
> > dealing with that issue again.

> Front rotors on some models sensitive to ham fisted poor torqueing of
> wheel nuts. * Can be avoided by using a torque wrench.
>

> > But the blend door issue, having to do with the heating system vents,
> > was new to me.

> The auto temp control system can be a real pain, and if it ever truly
> goes bad and you cannot fix it yourself, quite expensive.
>
> Best investment is the Factory Service Manual, which you can buy online
> at jeep under the for owners link.
>
> There are special high mileage oils, but 75-80 isn't that high.
>
> Pure synth, or synth blend is pretty much a personal taste unless the
> owners manual calls out synth due to engine design.

I appreciate that reference to the Factory Service Manual. I think I
will be keeping the GC rather than trade and the manual sounds like a
good investment! If the blend door problem shows up, I will just deal
with it.

Still thinking about the move to synthetic oil.

Thanks for the advice!

Larry