Old January 30th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default How Did I Miss This One?

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:53:09 -0800, "Jack May" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>By squeezing three
>>> times as many cars on the highway, this technology could drastically
>>> ease traffic congestion -- if only engineers could figure out a way to
>>> get millions of drivers to buy these systems.

>>The problem is not people buyng the technology, people are already buying
>>similar technology when it is offered on cars. The problems is Luddite
>>infested transportation organizations that want to go back to almost
>>useless
>>rail systemss.

> I'll be honest with you: if every car were equipped with some sort of
> guidance system that would GUARANTEE that the car would move in an
> optimal manner at all times, I would personally help you scrap every
> locomotive and every inch of rail in the entire country. With
> self-driving cars that cannot be used to block traffic, the need for
> public transit evaporates.

This is the "Creative Design" argument. If there is any imperfection in
what is working, then it must be abandoned to purse something that has
almost no chance of working.

A totally incoherent, totally irrational argument. Congratulations, you
have hit rock bottom with no way but up.