Old January 30th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default How Did I Miss This One?

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:53:09 -0800, "Jack May" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>By squeezing three
>>> times as many cars on the highway, this technology could drastically
>>> ease traffic congestion -- if only engineers could figure out a way
>>> to get millions of drivers to buy these systems.

>>The problem is not people buyng the technology, people are already
>>buying similar technology when it is offered on cars. The problems is
>>Luddite infested transportation organizations that want to go back to
>>almost useless rail systemss.

> I'll be honest with you: if every car were equipped with some sort of
> guidance system that would GUARANTEE that the car would move in an
> optimal manner at all times, I would personally help you scrap every
> locomotive and every inch of rail in the entire country. With
> self-driving cars that cannot be used to block traffic, the need for
> public transit evaporates.

But rail also moves a lot of heavy cargo that trucks cannot move;like loads
of coal for electric powerplants,chemicals or raw materials for
industry,and so on.
Public transit is not the sole use of the US rail system.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik