Old October 3rd 17, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky

Default Grom Audio, adding USB and Bluetooth to your car radio

In sci.electronics.repair, on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 22:50:26 -0400, micky
> wrote:

>In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 12:30:27 -0500, Paul in Houston
>TX > wrote:
>
>>micky wrote:
>>> I'm thinking of installing a Gromaudio device that, if your car radio
>>> has a CD changer input jack, allows for USB input, AUX input from a
>>> cellphone, and for another $50 Bluetooth use of the cellphone through
>>> the car speakers and an add-on microphone (in addition to the first
>>> $150).
>>>
>>> The most important feature for me is the USB input.

>>Forget the input jack and use FM wireless. Search Ebay.

>Do you mean something like this:
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Mus...AOSwImRYjlr j

Yes, I'm sure you do. I bought it. And I've tested it in the car with
a little MP3 player and it works well afaict so far. Now to load up the
MP3 player before my trip in November.

>Or this one is ridiculously cheap
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3818484...=ps&dispItem=1 ? this

I think for $3 I'll buy another one, for when I break the first one.

>uses a 3.5mm input from a cell phone, but I don't think I'll be using a
>cell phone. I can't afford unlimited data. Most likely I'll be dl'ing
>podcasts and putting them on a flashdrive. Although I have to say it
>might be worth buying this anyhow. It's only $2.85 with free shipping!
>OT3H I found a half dozen seller who'd sold over 1000 and only 1 review
>came back! He said it broke after a month. ;-)
>
>How can cellphone makers consider getting rid of the 3.5mm jack with so
>many things that use it?
>>
>>IMO, bluetooth phone in a vehicle does not work very well.
>>The outgoing sounds are muffled, distorted, and hard to understand.
>>However, if you want to send music from your ipod to the vehicle
>>audio it works well enough.

Very interesting. I have one that plugs into the cig lighter, but I've
only made one call and, at my request, received one call. I was able to
talk and drive that time, because of the route, but I'm not sure I could
other times.