Old October 30th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Self driving cars and moral decisions-who will live, who willdie?

Roger Blake > wrote:
>On 2018-10-29, Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>> That's not so easy with a Toyota. I had a '78 Corolla SR5 and wound up
>> junking it when I could no longer get even routine parts for it.

>I can see where older foreign cars might be a problem to get parts for.
>It's common to still find parts on the shelf for decades-old U.S. iron.
>Heck, I know people daily-driving cars older than mine.

Again, it depends. I had a Chrysler Laser, which was a curious vehicle
that I kind of liked, but I couldn't get CV joints for the thing and had
to get them custom. Chrysler couldn't even get distributor caps for it;
they had the caps in stock if you knew the number but the dealer database
was screwed up and didn't list the right cap.

After ten years the manufacturer doesn't really care about supporting the
vehicle. If parts are common to many years, you can likely get them if you
can figure out what they are. If it's a popular car that people want to
keep running, there's likely aftermarket support and plenty of aftermarket
parts available. Otherwise... maybe not.
--scott