Old May 6th 20, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Motor is wheezing, as if it's breathing - why?

Arlen Holder wrote:

>> You could try adding some seafoam to the fuel and see if you can clear
>> it out that way but it really depends on just how plugged it is as to
>> whether that will work.

> Thanks Steve W for that helpful advice.
>
> I think it is one of those non-adjustable jets which are clogged.
> The engine runs, so I "can" put seafoam in, but I'm no fan of what I call
> "miracles in a can".
>
> The Seafoam is likely just a trademark for a lot of stuff, mostly likely a
> formulation of soap for gas, aka polyetheramines, which are already in
> gasoline - but let me look it up...
> <https://seafoamsales.com/product/sea-foam-motor-treatment-oil-fuel-additive/>
> <https://seafoamsales.com/sds/>
>
> Hmmm... 10% to 30% alcohol wasn't expected.
> The petroleum distillates and hydrocarbon-based solvents were expected.
>
> Anyway, I've never been a fan of miracles in a can, and I know you
> suggested it as a side note to the real problem, which is that the jets are
> likely clogged.
>
> For now, since it's running, I think I'll just use a few tanks of gas and
> see if that cleans it out. I also might tie down the throttle cable a bit
> more, and ensure the throttle and choke levers aren't vibrating.

Seafoam has been one of the few cans that I have had work in this
situation. Also works very well as a top cylinder cleaner for those
vehicles that get carbon build up on the pistons and rings.
The ingredients may be in gasoline, but not in the concentration
required to dissolve the deposits that formed from evaporation.

Now if you had a heated ultrasonic cleaner available, those do a really
good job on getting them clean.

--
Steve W.