Old June 10th 15, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default bad camshaft may be the culprit to all my troubles

On 6/8/2015 4:58 PM, DougW wrote:

> Ok, that's odd to me. Only issue I ever had with a cam was stalling (no acceleration except at speed)
> from my 82 C-10 chevy POS. That was due to a worn down pump lobe. The wear was due to a "well known"
> oil starvation issue on that part of the cam.

For a while, many manufacturers, especially the Chevy division's 305
C.I. engine, had poorly hardened cams which resulted in performance
issues like mine and, thanks to my wonderful memory that I think I used
to have, I spaced out the symptoms.

I got the cam out with a home-made handle to help with guiding it and
found galling on the lift ramps, an average 0.030" wear on the lobe tips
and 0.015" on the base circles.

All lifters had cupping on the faces and one was collapsed and the one
next to it was plugged with engine crud which reduced it's ability to
pump up and lube the rocker as well (the AMC design pumps oil up the
pushrods to the rockers).

I thought the fuel pump had gone out or the filter had plugged and
replaced both but the stalling and cutting out continued.

Got almost all my parts and while it's down I'm converting to an open
cooling system, replacing the motor mounts, replacing a damaged
passenger front fender, and putting in a better engine-to-chassis ground.

Budd

---