Old June 13th 15, 07:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_6_]

Default bad camshaft may be the culprit to all my troubles

Budd Cochran wrote:
> On 6/8/2015 4:58 PM, DougW wrote:
>>
>> Ok, that's odd to me. Only issue I ever had with a cam was stalling
>> (no acceleration except at speed) from my 82 C-10 chevy POS. That
>> was due to a worn down pump lobe. The wear was due to a "well known"
>> oil starvation issue on that part of the cam.

> For a while, many manufacturers, especially the Chevy division's 305
> C.I. engine, had poorly hardened cams which resulted in performance
> issues like mine and, thanks to my wonderful memory that I think I
> used to have, I spaced out the symptoms.

I have to admit when the pump lobe went out on my C-10 it was not the first thing I thought it was.

> I got the cam out with a home-made handle to help with guiding it and
> found galling on the lift ramps, an average 0.030" wear on the lobe
> tips and 0.015" on the base circles.
>
> All lifters had cupping on the faces and one was collapsed and the one
> next to it was plugged with engine crud which reduced it's ability to
> pump up and lube the rocker as well (the AMC design pumps oil up the
> pushrods to the rockers).

The wear doesn't seem that bad, but the fubar lifter that's another thing.
Same with lots of vehpickles, lube goes up the lifter.

> I thought the fuel pump had gone out or the filter had plugged and
> replaced both but the stalling and cutting out continued.
>
> Got almost all my parts and while it's down I'm converting to an open
> cooling system, replacing the motor mounts, replacing a damaged
> passenger front fender, and putting in a better engine-to-chassis
> ground.

Fingers crossed that you got the culprit.

--
DougW