Old July 5th 15, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default now to trace a vacuum leak

On 7/4/2015 3:36 PM, DougW wrote:
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>> On 6/22/2015 9:47 PM, Budd Cochran wrote:
>>
>> Finally got the vacuum lines tested and the one I thought was bad
>> wasn't.

>> Over $300 (not counting the camshaft and kit as it needed replaced)
>> spent because engineers used a dumb design for the vacuum system . .

>> If poor vacuum signals to the MAP sensor, the fuel pressure regulator
>> caused by the leaks in the other lines was causing my grief, I'm a bit
>> ticked off.

> MAP sensor is fairly important because it controls the fuel via feedback.
> The one on my ZJ is bloody expensive and kept failing till I gave it a bit
> more tubing. They put it too close to the engine and it would eventually
> break the plastic connector.
>
>> Oy!!!!

> Indeed!
>
> Hope you fixed it though. Still cheaper than replacing it with another fixer upper. :/
>
> I'm dreading my next repair. Going to have to replace the bushings on the rear links.
> Eight bushings in the most innacessable locations possible. Got the parts, but I need
> to find a spot with a lift. Not going to do this on my back like I did with the front.

I've put a whopping 7 miles on it without a single miss, hiccup, or
stalling ... but I ain't holding my breath.

I hated doing the front bushings myself and I'm glad I don't have the
rear 4 link suspension for that reason.

While I had it down for the other stuff I converted to an open cooling
system instead of the closed system that sent 20% or more of the hot
engine coolant thru the pressure bottle (now my overflow tank) and
bypassed the radiator and heater cores ... no wonder Renix engines run
HOT!!!!

We're looking at a '92 parts XJ (no title) for patch panels but if it is
in good enough shape, we may try to get a replacement title and drive it.

Budd

---