Old September 11th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
chris

Default 83 rabbit exhaust-help

On Sep 10, 4:30*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_lega...ytic_converter...
> "It is not legal to modify the emissions sytem in any state. Doing so is a
> violation of Federal Law"
>
> http://autoparts.lifetips.com/cat/61...sions-control/
> "According to federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and
> replaced with "converter replacement pipes" by any person. The 1990 Clean
> Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing
> "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs
> such pipes would violate the Clean Air Act."
>
> this was interesting readinghttp://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase..pl?court=wi&vol=wisctapp2\2004\03-3536&invol=1
>
> I would not want to be caught removing one! *<g>
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "Eric Oulashin" > wrote in message

> > dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> >> In the USA I believe that it is illegal to remove a catalytic converter
> >> on a vehicle that came with one from the factory if it is still being
> >> used on our roads as a private vehicle. *Very stiff fines for doing that
> >> if caught.

> > I'm not sure, but I don't think it's illegal everywhere in the US. There
> > are many areas in the US that don't do emissions testing, and in those
> > areas I doubt they would care if you remove the catalytic converter. *They
> > might not even check for that.

> > I was once talking with someone who lived in an area that doesn't do
> > emissions testing, and he didn't mention any legal problems.

> > Eric

I am in a state that does not do emissions tests.... whether it is
legal or not I doubt I would get called on it (anytime soon that is).
Still I just hate the idea of driving around without a converter. My
car even smells noxious, I am certain they removed the cat. I also
checked out my receipt today and no note of a charge for a catalytic
converter. I am really thinking they messed with my car. I'll be
calling them on it tomorrow, I guess we will see what they have to say
for themselves.

Someone mentioned to me that they might have used a muffler with a
built in catalytic converter? I had never heard of that as even an
option. Do those exist? If anyone has any info on this I would be
interested to hear it. Also I have heard that without a cat your car
is more likely to trap extra unburned fuel in the pipe and is possible
for it to start on fire. If they built the cat into the muffler would
this still be a concern? I am perhaps a little weird and keep a small
fire extinguisher in my car but that does not mean I ever want to use
it!

Thanks so much to all of you.

Cheerio,
Chris