Old December 3rd 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Default Keep your papers ready to be produced immediately or it's a tazering

Jr. wrote:
> > "Brent P" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >>
> >> Woman without her papers in order for immediate inspection gets tazed:
> >>
> >> via fark.com
> >>
> >> http://www.statesman.com/news/mplayer/other/32386?f=1

> > Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that it is best not to

confront,
> > even verbally, a police officer that is already aggressive and will
> > immediately use force. Just do what the cop is asking, and file a

complaint
> > or lawsuit later. It's really the only solution, unless one already

knows
> > they can physically withstand potentially multiple 5 second/50,000 volt
> > shocks.

> Um, she didn't confront the cop. She appeared to be merely disorganized
> and did not have her papers at the ready for inspection. To a cop,
> anything short immediate and total obedence is a confrontation I suppose,
> but in the real world it isn't. I understand that a good number of cops
> are ex-military and that the police forces are militarized leading to an
> expectation of military style obedence and having one's documents etc at
> the ready but that is no excuse.

There's also one more thing. As referenced in the discussion comments on the
Fark.com sites, an increasing number of police officers are apparently
starting to use anabolic steroids to gain an edge over the suspects and
criminals they deal with. That means steroid rage.

To be smart, one should always have their driver's license on them, and
their registration and proof of insurance in a small wallet that can be kept
in the glove compartment or center console compartment within the vehicle.
Then, when going for the license and registration/proof of insurance, tell
the officer something like: "I'm reaching for my wallet to get my license",
then get the license and give it to the officer. Then say something like
"I'm going to open this center console compartment to get the registration
and proof of insurance", then get it and give the registration/proof of
insurance to the officer. Don't give them any reason to suspect resistance.
Don't give them any reason to think there is any sort of threat.

Doing the above makes any traffic stop that much quicker, and the officer
isn't as defensive since there is clearly no threat. That goes for whether
it's just a fix it ticket, or if they are actually issuing something like a
speeding ticket.