Old February 24th 06, 01:38 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech

Default problems shifting with manual transmission (stick), help, something is wrong

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just acquired an older car. I am sure that the clutch is working
> well. When I first drove the car, I had no problems shifting. Then,
> after a few days, I began having problems shifting into 1st gear. Not
> every time, but on a regular basis, the stick will not go smoothly into
> the first gear position. It will go partially into that position.
> When the stick is partially in the first gear position, and I let out
> the clutch to put the car into gear, if I take my hand off the stick,
> the stick will be thrown automatically out of gear into neutral, but
> if I continue pushing the stick into position while letting out the
> clutch, depending on how skillful I am with it, it will either pop hard
> into first gear or grind into it. Other times, without letting out the
> clutch, I can put the stick into what appears to be the first gear
> position and then push it very forcefully against some added resistance
> to get into the actual first gear position, but this doesn't always
> work. There are also other times when it shifts completely normally.
> The other gears appear to shift completely normally although I think
> that second might have been jammed a few times. What are the possible
> problems that I am having. Is this expensive to repair?

Sounds like the linkage needs adjusting. The 'throw' on the 1st gear
linkage probably has decreased due to age & use. Adjusting to move 1st
selector arm further in its direction of travel towards engaging should
solve the problem. Also, put it into high momentarily before going to
1st--should stop grinding if it is not synchronized in 1st (from the
factory). HTH, s