Old July 3rd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Martin Underwood

Default Battery terminal short

Al Bundy wrote in message
:

> Paul wrote:
>> While replacing my battery tonight, a pair of pliers accidentally got
>> knocked across the positive and negative battery terminals while both
>> of the battery cables were connected to their respective battery
>> terminals. A few sparks occurred, but I managed to remove the pliers
>> quickly. When I started the car, all electrical devices appeared to
>> function properly, and the alternator warning light went out as
>> normal as well. Could the pliers across the terminals cause damage?

> We've all probably done something similar through the years. The
> normal reaction is usually so fast that the only consequences are the
> sparks and a spike in one's blood pressure. The quick discharge won't
> damage the electronics in your vehicle. If you could have made a good
> solid connection between the terminals, the battery might have self
> destructed in your face.

I know someone that this happened to. Even several years later, you can see
the acid scars on his cheeks and forehead - and very obvious unsullied
patches of skin round his eyes where his glasses protected him. He showed me
the screwdriver which had caused the short. It was in two parts: the shaft
had melted through at one point. I think the problem was that the
screwdriver spot-welded itself to the terminals so although his reflexes
were fast he couldn't knock the screwdriver off the battery.