Old February 19th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default what's the condenser for on a mechanical voltage regulator?

The points 'do' arc out and burn in those regulators or you wouldn't
need new ones.... I was always under the impression you needed the
condenser to slow this down.

Sometimes if they have arced while closed, you can thump on the
regulator to get it going again if I remember right. The bad alternator
might have caused this also. Some others you could open and inspect.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's