Old April 18th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

Default M30 air intake manifold

On Apr 18, 11:04 am, "Bill" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
> > leak in the air intake manifold as well as an engine oil leak. Price
> > 300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing the intake manifold
> > and sealing the engine oil leak.

I'll second the suggestion that the big rubber intake boot is cracked
and likely has a vacuum leak on the bottom. You can check for it by
squeezing the thing with the engine idling. If the idle changes
(either up or down) as you do so, that's the problem. It's a half-
hour job for a fumblethumbs like me.

There is also a very common and very cheap and easy-to-fix oil leak on
the M30. Check the oil pressure switch at the back of the head.
Costs about $8 (even AutoZone stocks 'em) and 5 minutes to replace.
Next most likely (and next cheapest/easiest) is a leaky valve cover
gasket.

> > Can anyone assist me with the air intake manifold?
> > How do I replace it and what does it cost?

I have *never* seen a reason to replace one, so there ought to be
about a bazillion of 'em around, used, very cheap. But I'll bet you
the rent that's not the problem.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)