Old April 9th 21, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Steve W.[_6_]

Default 02 sensor and better gas mileage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SugtR4KMIDU

>>> Oh where he is checking the hoses, a quick trick is to use carb cleaner
>>> and spray it around the hoses. If the engine rpm suddenly jumps look in
>>> the area you were spraying for a leak.
>>>

>> From what you posted you have a vacuum leak/pirate air issue as the
>> primary problem. You can use brake clean or carb cleaner, they are both
>> more or less paint thinners that burn ok. I use carb cleaner because the
>> older version of brake cleaner is chlorinated and generates toxic gas
>> when burned.

> Oops, I don't want that. I ordered it online and haven't gotten it yet,
> but it also says the original version is not flammable (unlike the other
> three versions in green cans, without chlorine),
>
> So how could it work at all if it's not flammable?
>
> There's a chart about a fifth of the way down, comparing 5 different
> version of Brakleen. Only in the red can is there chlorine but only that
> one is Not Flammable!
> https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05089-BRA..._t1_B000BXKZUQ
>
> But in videos I watched, they're using Brakleen in that red can! Life
> is so complicated.
>
>> The thing to remember though is that in the video he is working on a car
>> different than yours, some things apply, others don't. For instance MAF
>> flow, as engine sizes go up, MAF numbers increase even at idle to feed
>> the larger engine.

> Yes, I see. The engine he's working on is only 4 cylinders. Mine is 6.
>> Try this
>> https://support.alldata.com/sites/ma...ing_110918.pdf

> I'll print this and do as he says tomorrow.
>> Looking at the fuel trims that go up, then start coming down means that
>> it's a medium sized leak. As the throttle opens it goes past the point
>> where the pirate air is the main component and the mixture improves. If
>> it started improving immediately it would be a small leak.

> Yes, I see.
>
>> For the sensor data you want to look at it live, and watch what it
>> actually reads, if the front sensors are changing voltages rapidly as
>> the engine runs and the rear sensors stay at a somewhat constant number
>> and don't vary like the fronts, the sensors are working and although
>> they may be worn, they are doing their job and the converters are working.
>> You may be surprised at where a vacuum leak can be, brake booster, PCV
>> system, intake manifold gaskets, a damaged port on the manifold, in the
>> EVAP system and a host of others, some external others internal.

> I'll keep looking and look again at places I've looked.
>
>> OH the wuse of water for leaks is somewhat common, it's because you can
>> use it on a hot or cold engine or one where you have ignition sources
>> like open plug wires or bad coils. The amount of cleaner you will use
>> won't be an issue though, just be sure to start on a cold engine.
>> Usually something like an intake leak will get better as the engine
>> warms up so you want to catch it when it's cold.

> Okay.

If you like visit 2carpros.com Put in as much info about your issue as
you can and one of the crew can look up the line routing and parts on
that car and give you much more info including pictures and other tests.

--
Steve W.