Old February 18th 18, 08:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

wrote:

>>> You can always
>>> rotate the socket 1/4 turn on the 1/2" drive to get 12th of a turn when
>>> space to swing the bar is tight.

>> I never thought of that!
>> The math confused me so may I reiterate what I "think" you just said?
>>
>> Am I correct in assuming you're saying that you can rotate a 12-point
>> socket by 1/12th, while you can only rotate a 6-point socket by 1/6th ---
>> but ... if you cleverly rotate /both/ the 6-point socket by 1/6th and the
>> half-inch socket wrench end of the socket by 1/4, you get the same effect?
>>

> yes, but it is so rarely needed it is not worth worrying about

It's still nice to know that you can get the same angle effect out of a six
point socket that you can out of a 12-point socket, simply by rotating the
4-point extension bar location.

Personally, my tools just "grew" over time, where I have some 12 points and
some 6 points where some are normal sockets, deep sockets, and impact
sockets, where I wish I had known what I'm learning in this thread in the
beginning.

Seems to me that the /first/ set anyone should get are normal length & deep
six-point sockets (both metric & SAE).

The metric & SAE 12-point sets should come next, I would think.