Old June 18th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Default Unable to Tighten GM Side Mount Battery Terminal

HLS wrote:

> "jim" > wrote in message
>
>> Lasting forever is not the question. I have taken apart side mounted
>> terminals that have been installed for 3-5 years and found the sealed
>> inner metal parts to be still like new. That doesn't happen with top
>> posts. It doesn't matter if the top posts are sealed with a rubber
>> boot or
>> with vaseline or lacquer or whatever - Taking them apart after 3-5 years
>> of service they never look like new. The simple fact that you feel the
>> need to add sealant of some kind is an indication of the problem with top
>> posts. Not that there aren't advantages to top post batteries, but
>> they do
>> on average require more maintenance.
>>
>> -jim

> I more or less agree. Side terminals would not be expected to go
> corrosed in 3-5
> years, but as the car ages they sometimes DO become internally
> corroded,. leading
> to difficulties. Whether top or side posts, I maintain mine regularly
> and usually apply
> Vaseline to help offset corrosion. They require minimal maintainance to
> keep them
> working well.

My experience is that terminal corrosion is 100% a function of how
tightly the battery case is sealed. Neither top nor side posts will
corrode with a sealed battery like an Optima. Yes, I HAVE removed Optima
top-post clamps after 5-6 years and found shiny metal under the clamp.
Both types will also corrode (and BADLY) with any battery that has a
poor vapor seal around the terminal itself. I've seen plenty of
side-post batteries with the threaded bolt eaten away to nothing.