Old June 19th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default Unable to Tighten GM Side Mount Battery Terminal

Steve wrote:
> HLS wrote:
>>
>> "jim" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Lasting forever is not the question. I have taken apart side mounted
>>> terminals that have been installed for 3-5 years and found the sealed
>>> inner metal parts to be still like new. That doesn't happen with top
>>> posts. It doesn't matter if the top posts are sealed with a rubber
>>> boot or
>>> with vaseline or lacquer or whatever - Taking them apart after 3-5 years
>>> of service they never look like new. The simple fact that you feel the
>>> need to add sealant of some kind is an indication of the problem with
>>> top
>>> posts. Not that there aren't advantages to top post batteries, but
>>> they do
>>> on average require more maintenance.
>>>
>>> -jim

>> I more or less agree. Side terminals would not be expected to go
>> corrosed in 3-5
>> years, but as the car ages they sometimes DO become internally
>> corroded,. leading
>> to difficulties. Whether top or side posts, I maintain mine regularly
>> and usually apply
>> Vaseline to help offset corrosion. They require minimal maintainance
>> to keep them
>> working well.

> My experience is that terminal corrosion is 100% a function of how
> tightly the battery case is sealed. Neither top nor side posts will
> corrode with a sealed battery like an Optima. Yes, I HAVE removed Optima
> top-post clamps after 5-6 years and found shiny metal under the clamp.
> Both types will also corrode (and BADLY) with any battery that has a
> poor vapor seal around the terminal itself. I've seen plenty of
> side-post batteries with the threaded bolt eaten away to nothing.

I live in the rust belt and the Optima battery posts will still corrode
to the point of a no start condition. This has happened on both our
Jeeps and my CJ is now in need of another terminal clean.

Now it 'has' been 4 years on this connection, but they still do corrode.

Mike