Old April 14th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Default 97 XJ Auto Engine Shut off?

On 4/13/2012 04:27, Old Crow wrote:
> "Brian Stroud" wrote in message
>
> Has anyone heard of an "Auto Engine Shut-off" on a 97 XJ Cherokee? I have
> one and so does my friend Tom. I have had all the standard problems that
> come with owning an XJ and have been able to fix it without too much
> trouble. Tom hasn't had nearly the problem as mine, I think because his has
> fewer miles and he's been know to replace the parts that I have had go bad
> before they went bad on his. Smart but I think expensive. Tom stumped my
> knowledge of XJ anatomy with an "Auto Engine Shut-off" fuse that blows
> every
> time he hits a sizable bump (washboards on a gravel road does it every
> time). I no longer have the owners manual and Tom say it shows where it's
> located in the fuse panel and power distribution center but I don't find it
> on mine. Haney's Reference Book makes no mention of it and nothing says
> what
> triggers the fuse to blow. Any idea or can anyone tell me what to look for.
> It seems to shut down the ECU and not a fuel cut off.
>
> Brian
>
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> Been a while since I had my XJ, but isn't the Auto Shut Down relay in
> the panel under the hood? I thought it was a relay and not a fuse?
> Maybe that's in my Wrangler.
>
> Getting old sucks.

... but it sure beats the alternative.

There are several things that will shut the engine off.... number one
is not seeing good fuel pressure within a very short time after the pump
starts.

It isnt a fuse on the ZJ 4.0 which likely has pretty similar lectronics.