Old November 28th 12, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Default Tig or Mig

Olli Lammi wrote:

>> Since you have to ask.... I'd say MIG
>>
>> I would say definitely MIG, it's cheaper and easier to

learn, I think.
>> Then again I haven't owned a TIG yet, I see it as the tool

of choice for
>> aluminum work, where MIG would fall flat on it's face even

with a spool
>> gun, in comparison.

> This said, having never welded any body panels using any

method. My
> welding experience is mostly welding 0.5 mm thick square

pipes together
> to form different kinds of household objects (to mount car

tyres to
> wall, store fire wood etc.). I have welded using both MIG

and TIG.
> Some of this might also sound obvious, but decided to write

it anyway.

> I would go MIG for that kind of work. A lot easier to tag

pieces to
> their assumed places first. A lot easier to weld in hard to

access
> places where you necessarily cannot see everything. Lot

easier to weld
> in short lenghts here and there to let things cool down and

minimize
> bending the objects.
>
> You can make nicer weld with TIG and for example for pipe

welding TIG
> should be the tool. MIG weld usually needs more grinding and

polishing,
> if the object needs to look nice.
>
> MIG is not handy, if you have different materials to weld.

With TIG you
> basically just change the filler material stick and you can

weld
> different stuff (aluminium, steel, stainless steel, ...).

With MIG you
> have to pull out the old wire, feed ahother reel and if I

recall right,
> the gas is also different for example for steel and

stainless steel.
> With TIG you can also weld without filler, just melt the two

objects
> together.
>
> Someone with more skill with TIG might say, all can be done

using it,
> but in my experience, I would start with MIG.
>
> MIG or TIG, I think most important is to practise, have a

test piece of
> similar material and thickness. Test and adjust the current

and wire
> feed (MIG) before starting the actual work.
>
> My thoughts of it.
>
> ---
> Olli

Thank you all. I had many doubts after reading in different
locations, but your tips have pointed me firmly to mig.

I used to do great with oxy-acetylene and a henrob low-
pressure torch, but, even with care, some warping was
unavoidable.

Chris