Old July 12th 18, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default how does the map get into the radio?

micky wrote:
> In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
> it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?
>
> What if you want to install the next year's version?
>
> My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads,
> even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars!
> but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it
> won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not.
> Maybe it only has more recent stores.
>
> And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use
> DVDs anymore. ??
>
> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>
> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

It depends on the manufacturer. Most use either an SD card or a DVD to
update the maps in the on board system. You won't find one from the auto
manufacturer with actual current year maps though. For that you need to
update with the most current data from whoever they used for the map data.
For instance my Journey uses a UConnect system unit that runs Garmin
maps, I can update it using ONLY Garmin data, but I can get updates
directly through Garmin and add it through an SD or DVD for a lot less
than going to a dealer

The new Toyotas also use Garmin and an SD card for updates.

--
Steve W.