Old June 23rd 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

Default Need Weight-Split For My Car!

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 06:34:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Kevin Bottorff wrote: wrote in news:4951aeeb-048c-41ef-8aaa-

>> I'm talking about the Front-Rear percentage
>> weight distribution.
>>

>"there is nothing basic about that figure, almost no one needs that info. if
>you need it take it to a scale and figger it out your self not rocket
>science. KB "
>
>________
>Used to be in every automotive publication,
>hard copy or online, and in dealer brochures.
>
>Is useful for those who like to fine-tune
>tire pressures for handling purposes, etc.
>Suppose a car has a 60/40(Front/Rr)
>weight distro. They might want to try putting
>5psi extra in their front tires, or 2lbs psi less
>in the rears and 2lbs more in the fronts.

So see what pressure recommended in the door sticker and work backwards
from that.

Or go to a scrap yard with a scale for weighing the pickup trucks and
tip the guy a couple bucks to tell you when your front wheels are 3 feet
onto the scale and after you drive forward, when your rear wheels are 3
feet from being off the scale.

Where I go, the guy doesn't get out of his chair to weigh trucks and he
can barely see if the car/truck is in the right place, but if I wwanted
to know what you do, I might talk him and another guy into helping me.
Be nice though. It's not part of their job. On, and the scale where I
go is only accurate to 50 pounds or something like that. If you
brought enough scrap that your car had to be weighed, that might get
them in the mood, but I like my first line above better.