Old June 4th 21, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Steering Rack Boot Replacement (clamp & tools)

John Robertson wrote:
> If I have to, I'll use whatever pliers or channellocks that I have.
> But I'm sure there isn't much room which will be the real problem I think.
>
> I looked at a few DIY videos (but by no means all) where about half used the
> plastic zip ties which I think won't hold up with cold, heat & oil around.
>
> The other half used a metal clamp, about half of which used a typical hose
> clamp worm gear type (which will hold up but which have sharp bouncy ends).
>
> The rest used a steel clamp that came with the package but none (so far)
> showed how they tightened/crimped that steel clamp but this one vide.
> https://youtu.be/m_iIkZEl6qY?t=293
>
> Notice he only needed to _pull_ tightly on the end to tighten that clamp!
>
> For just pulling on a wire to close a hose clamp I might not need much room.
> But where do I get those pull-type hose clamps?

Those are common crimp type clamps. The tool used looks similar in
action to the end nippers used to trim horses hooves. Very likely you
can find the parts store version on the rack in the store or as a loaner
tool or both. They are very common as they are used on those as well as
CV boot clamps.
To assemble them you put the slots over the ears on the clamp and then
use the tool on the raised area to crimp the band just so it doesn't
move in the groove. You don't want it real tight as you can damage the
boot, but you want it tight enough that is doesn't leak.

This is the same tool used for the CV boots that is used with the
smaller rack boot clamps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHlkv9kdVhY

--
Steve W.