Old May 11th 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]

Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning

"bmwguy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi gang,
>
> I have a 1986 325es with 215,000 miles on it and it rung great.
> I have a problem in the morning when I start up the car. It takes a
> few tries before the car starts up. After that it starts with the
> first try.
> I am not sure if it is cold wheater related or not. Because today in
> California it was nice an warm and I got up to go to work and tried to
> start it up and it took 5 tries.
> When I go to lunch around noon the car starts up with the first turn
> of the switch or, when I leave to go home around 8:00 PM in the
> evening again, the car starts up with the first try.
> It is in the morning (or, I shoule say after the car has not been
> driven for a long period of time) when I have problems starting it up.
>
> Someone told me that I need to press on the gas pedal quickly and let
> it go and then press the cluch and old it and then start up the car
> but, that did not go either.
>
> The car runs fine and never have any electrical or fuel injection
> problems with it and once it start up and get going you cannot stop
> it!!!! It is a great car but, it annoys me that I have to cranck the
> starter about 5 time every morning.
>
> Any ideas or suggesstions are greatly appriciated.
>

> bmwguy2 at g m a i l

-----

Clean the Idle Control Valve. It's the sliver cylinder with an L-shaped
hose-in/hose-out. It's on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Remove
it from the car and spray some WD-40 or brake cleaner into the open sides.
Shake liberally and allow to drain out the 2 big holes. Repeat 2 or 3 times.
When dry, reinstall and try to start the engine. If you don't notice a
difference. Replacement may be necessary. I have one for cheap with the
control module.

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i