Old May 15th 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bmwguy2

Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning

On May 11, 2:36 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> "bmwguy2" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Hi gang,

> > I have a 1986 325es with 215,000 miles on it and it rung great.
> > I have a problem in the morning when I start up the car. It takes a
> > few tries before the car starts up. After that it starts with the
> > first try.
> > I am not sure if it is cold wheater related or not. Because today in
> > California it was nice an warm and I got up to go to work and tried to
> > start it up and it took 5 tries.
> > When I go to lunch around noon the car starts up with the first turn
> > of the switch or, when I leave to go home around 8:00 PM in the
> > evening again, the car starts up with the first try.
> > It is in the morning (or, I shoule say after the car has not been
> > driven for a long period of time) when I have problems starting it up.

> > Someone told me that I need to press on the gas pedal quickly and let
> > it go and then press the cluch and old it and then start up the car
> > but, that did not go either.

> > The car runs fine and never have any electrical or fuel injection
> > problems with it and once it start up and get going you cannot stop
> > it!!!! It is a great car but, it annoys me that I have to cranck the
> > starter about 5 time every morning.

> > Any ideas or suggesstions are greatly appriciated.

> > bmwguy2 at g m a i l

> -----
>
> Clean the Idle Control Valve. It's the sliver cylinder with an L-shaped
> hose-in/hose-out. It's on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Remove
> it from the car and spray some WD-40 or brake cleaner into the open sides.
> Shake liberally and allow to drain out the 2 big holes. Repeat 2 or 3 times.
> When dry, reinstall and try to start the engine. If you don't notice a
> difference. Replacement may be necessary. I have one for cheap with the
> control module.
>
> Bill in Omaha
> '86 535i- Hide quoted text -

Hi Bill,
I took the silver cylender thing to Kragon auto part and asked for a
cleaner for it. They call "throttle body" and not Idle Control Valve.
Anyhow, I had to go to BMW dealership to order the gasket because they
did not have it in stock.
I did not see anything unusual other than some black residue, I also
cleaned it up with the "throttle body cleaner" that I bought from
Kragon.
I need to wait for the part to arrive at BMW dealership and then
install it and try to see if it works any better.
Once I put the whole thing back together then, I will let you know.

Thanks,