Old October 28th 04, 07:13 PM
Alfistagj

A) BeltS should read belt; you only have one on a TS engine (so that saves
some costs

B) I guess they mean the variator motor, the "thing" that operates the inlet
camshaft
This is a typical Alfa problem dating from the period 1998-mid2000
When defective you will hear a sound as when the hydraulical tippits are
still without oil pressure.
Only difference is that the tippet sound disappears after a few seconds, but
the defective variator sound will remain (sound like a diesel engine)
Nothing will brake or so, only the sound AND the inlet cam shaft will not
"vary" as it should, so you lack some (top)power.
If there is no abnormal sound in the engine, it will hardly be the variator.
All 4-cil TS engines suffered from this problem; those manufactured after
April 2000 are o.k.
Some earlier engines have been "repaired" using a new variator with the same
problenm as the original one so had to be repaired more than once.
Engines from after April 2000 don't have this problem anymore; variators
usually last as long as the engine (200.000km's is normal), but you can be
unlucky when any engine part fails after the official guarantee term!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"redTed" > schreef in bericht