Old August 15th 18, 11:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
J.B. Wood[_2_]

Default ignition hard to turn

On 08/14/2018 08:23 AM, Tim R wrote:

> I've had cars (Fords) where you had to shake the steering wheel when the key locked up like that.
>
> If I push on the key, the lock will go in a short distance and then turn to the accessory position. It won't go immediately to start, but once it's in accessory getting it into start is usually quick. I think the lubrication helped, it's sticking less now and turning more easily.
>
> I used the same stuff (STP) on the rear view mirror. My wife broke it off - the glue let go from the windshield. When I re-glued it I realized both ball and socket joints were very hard to move, so I put a drop of STP on each and worked them until smooth. It adjusts easily now. >

Hello, and while I can't add/refute anything to the responses to the OP
I wanted to add that I've found silicone spray to be an excellent
lubricant for tight lock cylinders and keyways and it doesn't cake up
like graphite. The other plus is that one application lasts quite a
while. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: