Old September 1st 04, 11:54 PM
Mike

In >, Bob G. > writes:
>On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:41:39 GMT, "Orc General"
> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a comparative cost of owning an early model C4 versus an
>>early model Dodge Stealth.
>>By this I mean 1985/86 C4 versus 1992/93 Stealth. I seem to like them
>>both, and have been debating
>>which one to go for. I figure you save on gas with the Stealth (V6) but its
>>probably more expensive to maintain
>>than the C4 as far as available parts are concerned. It seems to me the
>>Stealth is a rarer car than the C4 as far as
>>the number of car running out there is concerned.
>>

>I really do not know BUT I would suggest buying the one you like the
>best and saying the hell with maintance costs....
>
>Enjoying a car is what it is all about the money spent enjoying the
>car is honestly not a factor (within reason that is..)
>
>I can tell you that I spent the weekend at Carlisle ...and Corvette
>parts were all over the place...as far as the stealth being rarer is
>most likely caused by the general public lack of interest in the car
>itself..
>
> I have owned a 95 Corvette for the last 6 years and never had to
>replace anything except the normal tires, brake pads, oil filters
>etc... What Maintance..? Seriously I have spent almost nothing on it
>but do go over it very carefully every spring and fall...as I do all
>my cars.
>
>Bob Griffiths
>68 SS 396 Chevelle
>64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
>(2001 Dakota is my daily driver))

I spent a week with a Mitsubishi that the Stealth was derived
from. Compared to early C4, it's fewer cubes, lower torque, more
rpm, quieter over the road. Cooler cockpit in the summer. Don't
remember what the mpg was but it took about the same $$ to make
it to Vegas as would a 6-spd C4 (or 4+3). Stiffer frame and a bit
more nimble into the turn than the early C4s. Better on switchbacks
and hairpins than a C4, not as good as a C5.

The Mitsubishi had a lot of sophisticated stuff that will be hard to
replace or repair as the car ages. Stealth had a bit less of that
'featuritis' so might be keep going longer--that said, there are still
plenty of these cars on the road (in SoCal) so folks have kept them
going.

Regards, "Mike"
-- mikeellison3xxxatzzzyahoo.com --