Old October 19th 04, 08:05 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Rob Guenther wrote:

>Apparently I need new rear rotors - corrosion is getting pretty bad, and
>actually spreading down the rotor where the pad doesn't touch, and they are
>slightly warped I believe... The pads were done at 60K Kms (car has 109K Kms
>now) and have plenty of life on them, but I know they need to be changed if
>I get new rotors.

Unless things are different than on my 95, plan on replacing the
wheel bearings at the same time. The hub is integral to the disk. If
you don't have a press, you might ask the supplier to press the
bearings into the hubs.

Make sure that the replacement hub is the right size for the hole in
your wheels. It should not be a press fit. I know you think that
goes without saying.

And while you are at it, I would replace the parking brake cables if
you live in a cold area.

The ABS sensor rotor is a metal basket that you gently pry away and
reuse.