Old October 21st 04, 07:10 PM
William Maslin

In article >,
Richard Thomas > wrote:

> I just bought a Jetta but it only came with the valet key. I took it
> to Walmart and explained to the key cutting drone that I wanted a key
> but that it would have a different profile than the key I was handing
> him. He then proceeded to try to jam my key into each of the 'it's
> this key' holes behind the counter and then handed it back to me
> saying he didn't have a match. I asked him if he understood that the
> key would be different and he said he did.

I think your best bet would be to take the key to a locksmith. Our
local locksmith works out of a van but doesn't charge a service call if
you drive to wherever he's working at the moment (this is a small town).
The keys he cut for me work FAR better than any I have had cut at
hardware stores. And the key blanks seem to be stouter, too.

Alternatively, a VW dealer may be able to find out the key code and
perhaps even get you a key based on the car's VIN.

Bill