Old October 21st 04, 07:33 PM
Richard Thomas

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:10:00 -0500, William Maslin
> wrote:

>I think your best bet would be to take the key to a locksmith. Our
>local locksmith works out of a van but doesn't charge a service call if
>you drive to wherever he's working at the moment (this is a small town).
>The keys he cut for me work FAR better than any I have had cut at
>hardware stores. And the key blanks seem to be stouter, too.

Bit wary of going to a locksmith as the local one charged me $10 for a
skeleton key for my interior house door locks and it didn't even need
cutting. That said, in this case, it will probably be worth it. Not
dissing Walmart employees but they're not going to be as up on things.

I'd buy an uncut remote blank off of ebay and get that cut but the
Jetta was an unscheduled purchase so have a moritorium on spending at
the moment (A spare key, particularly a master is essential though)

>Alternatively, a VW dealer may be able to find out the key code and
>perhaps even get you a key based on the car's VIN.

Found a place online but they wanted $60. Ouch. Maybe I should take up
that Locksmith correspondance course I once signed up for

BTW, to those who commented, yes, I did mean "cross section" when I
wrote "profile".

Interesting also to hear that the master is slightly different length
as the Walmart drone did show me a key which he said didn't match
cause of the length. That may well have been the one I needed then.

Thanks all.

Rich

--
An animal so poor in spirit that he won't even fight on his own behalf
is already an evolutionary dead end; the best he can do for his breed