Old April 20th 05, 04:26 PM
Brent P

In article >, Spike wrote:
> Brent... While there is much you promote with which I disagree, there
> is much I do agree with.

So you're not going to address the points I made.

> However, I do not hold with the concept,
> right or wrong, that the United States should be like anyone else.

Our constitution dictates a system more like Germany's that one we have.

> Our
> history is nothing like the Euros, and my Aussie friends have all
> voiced the same feelings about their home. Nor do I expect the Euros
> to be like us.

How are the concepts of liberty supported by a system of arbitary rule on
the roads? I am for two simple things.

1) Drive such that one's impact on others is minimal.
2) That speed limits be set by the 85th percentile method, and
derestriction on rural limited access highways. (such as interstates)

This is what is compatible with the concepts of liberty outlined by
constitution of the united states of america. Germany is simply the
example that shows it works and is safer than what we presently have.
What we presently have is wrong on every level.

We have a system of arbitary speed limits that are nearly universally
ignored. How is that compatible with a government that is supposed to be
by the people for the people? It seems to be a government _OVER_ the
people. And that's always the excuse used to defend under posted speed
limits, that elected officals just know better than the people they rule
over.

> More than anything, I want to thank you for allowing me to work off
> some of the boredom of this weekend by getting you worked up...and
> stringing you along.

Nice face saving comment.

> This is one of those subjects; like politics or
> religion, where neither side wins.

No, this subject is settled by DATA. It's an engineering question, and
the data is on my side.

> You will never understand what it's
> like to be one of the cops you seem to distrust, dislike, and have no
> use for, and I will never know what it is like to be you. Anyway,
> thanks for the break in the monotony.... : )

I'll never understand what it is to be someone who collects tax revenue
at the side of the road with a gun. I'll never understand the
unquestioning, following orders mentality that every cop I've had any
meaningful discussion with has. I'll never understand how so someone who
does police work has so little understanding of the constitution of this
nation, so little understanding of the beliefs that brought it about, and
views more like those of a police state.

Police are on the front lines of taking away the liberty of the people. I
don't trust their masters (government), so why should I trust those that
follow the orders blindly?