Old July 6th 11, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bill Leary

Default Oil pressure problem

"geek49203" wrote in message
> Betting you've got 2 oil pressure switches, one for high speed
> and the other for low speed. What you're hearing is the low
> speed oil pressure buzzer.

Yes.

> In my 89 Golf, I had to run 20-w50 dino oil in there to keep
> it turned off. In the winter, I ran Syn oil 'cause it started easier.

Yeah, I'm running 20w-50 right now. It cranks harder when it's cold, of
course, but I haven't had enough trouble to cause me to switch to something
lighter for winter. Of course, now that I think about it, I try to avoid
driving it during the winter anyway so maybe that's why I don't have
trouble.

> There are also after-market high volume oil pumps -- I know
> that Parts Place in Auburn Hills MI sold a boatload of them.

I'm pretty sure from what I've been hearing that my oil pump is on the way
out. I'll test the pressure sensors before I have it replaced, of course,
but it seems likely.

Thanks for the comments.

- Bill