Old July 1st 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jtbartlett

Default Aftermarket Gauge troubles

Hello group. It's been a while since I've posted but new problems seem
to crop up. I have installed a trio of aftermarket gauges to monitor
engine activity out back. Following the manufacturer's instructions has
been a bit troublesome. Engine is currently not firing (intentionally)
while I try to test oil pressure gauge. I got the handy oil pressure
gauge with the idiot light and pressure sensor all-in-one. The Speedo
lights are wired hot just like the regular idiot light. Generator light
works just fine. Tested the OP bulb and it lights. Oil pressure Idiot
light does not light. I am reading 12V at the oil pressure switch out
back so I thought it was a grounding issue. Ground strap is tight. I
can make the OP light work by removing it from the sensor in the case
and grounding it to the alternator nut with alligator clips. What
gives? If I am pulling 12V from the front of the car why wouldn't the
OP sensor ground to the case? There is obviously a fundamental element
I am overlooking so maybe a fresh set of ears can help out. Thanks for
any help. At this point it IS appreciated.

PS. I do have oil pressure b/c I removed the sensor and cranked the
engine. It is pushing oil through. Engine was recently re-installed
but I haven't tried to fire it until I work this bugger out.