Old June 16th 04, 03:52 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article
outautos.com>,
"katastrophe" > wrote:
> Other people I've talked to today said the same thing you did,
> fuel pump - is it a difficult job to do yourself?

It's not *impossible*, but, realize, you're working with your gas tank.
You really don't wanna screw that up, or *boom*.

I'd go for the obovious, first, though. Read the trouble codes, then
have the pressure at the rail checked. It might be a filter, and that's
easy to replace. Of course, it could be the regulator, too, and that's
cheap too.

Rule out the cheap stuff first. AFAIK, Saturns aren't prone to blowing
up their fuel pumps.

(Don't discount the relay for it, too).

Easy way to test if the pump is at least working sometimes is to get in
the car in a quiet area, turn the key on, and listen for a little whine
and click noise. Turn the key off, then turn it on a few seconds later.
If the pump at least works, you'll hear that noise. i don't recall if
the FP relay is the same as any others, but if it is, swap it with
another and see if the problem moved with the relay (i.e., the pump's
fine but the system you stole the relay from is busted now)

You said it was running while you waited. I'm trying to think of a
failure mode where a pump gives you low pressure, but enough to idle.
Unlike a carb, EFI needs the pressure more or less all the time.

Years ago, my dad's Vega had it's filter clog. It'd run ok at low
speeds, but have no power and not be able to climb hills. Went around
in circles for a while while we searched for that...