Old January 27th 18, 09:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Clare Snyder

Default What to measure when adjusting clutch pedal bolt?

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 00:16:13 +1100, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 27/01/2018 10:52 PM, Look165 wrote:
>> Normally, there should be about 1/2 inch between the resting position of
>> the pedal annd its thrust position (completey up. This is for preventing
>> continuous fricton inside the clutch.

>It is actually there to guarantee that the piston can fully return to
>its stop (circlip usually) and fully uncover the compensating port
>allowing pressure in the slave cylinder and lines to release and fluid
>to return to the master cylinder reservoir. If this does not happen, the
>system may pump up and slave cylinder will not return thus not applying
>or only partially applying the clutch. The most common symptom of this,
>apart from a lack of pedal clearance, is a clutch that slips.
>
>Also, it is wise not to dick with the pedal height adjustment as you may
>end up with more MC travel than previously existed. That can result in a
>torn or damaged primary seal if the piston is now traveling over an
>unworn part of the cylinder or, worse, a part of the cylinder that has
>corrosion buildup on the unworn part.
>
>Frankly, if Roger needs to find out how to do the job from advice here,
>he'd be well advised to hand the task over to someone with a clue. This
>is basic stuff, hardly high tech, and he's *struggling*.

The poor lad reminds me of the Irisnman I shared the house with in
Zambia. Anything more complex than a retractable ball-point pen had
him totally flummoxed. To keep his level of frustration below the
point of "blowing smoke" he was restricted to using Bic stick pens
(pencils were no good because a pencil sharpener was beyond his level
of comprehension)