Old May 2nd 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
johnpaul215

Default 1970 parts Ghia in Philadelphia PA

On May 1, 10:13*am, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
> johnpaul215 wrote:
> > I bought it a while ago (on ebay) and did not realize the amount of
> > rust.... and it's just not going to make it. It sucks, but i have to
> > face the fact that it's just rotting away. I also don't have time
> > right now to mess with it. Before i bought it, it appears to have
> > spent a good 15+ years under a tarp and maybe that kept the moisture
> > trapped underneath? anyway.... There are a bunch of random parts that
> > are usable though. I'm debating stripping it down for the usable parts
> > (glass is all good etc), and recycling the rest, but if somebody needs
> > a lot of odds and ends. Some body parts are a-ok (hood, i think the
> > doors?, seats etc.)... The guy i bought it from was restoring it, then
> > just stopped and left it for a loooooong time. He eventually gave up,
> > and that's when i got it.
> > i can post pictures online. It is a complete car (with a title, keys
> > etc) that was just left outside. contacting me off the list is
> > probably best to make sure i see it.

> > thanks,
> > johnpaul

> Some people can do and are willing to do wonders with very poor looking
> rusty heaps of metal, if they have the experience and will. Financially
> it may not be feasible, and certainly not if you have to have someone
> else do the metalwork. But someone may still want the car in one piece
> and start a restoration or a custom project. Sometimes cars can be too
> far gone for a decent restoration, but still a viable starting point for
> some crazy customization project or just a fun weekend toy, even a race
> car.

It's got a lot of underbody rust, and that's what looks pretty bad to
me. Actually there is a lot of rust/rot everywhere. I may have had an
opportunity come up to move it to a better space so that i can hack
away at it and see what happens.
Worst case scenario, i intend to get another one down the road. I can
always squirrel away the good parts for future use.

-johnpaul