Old June 22nd 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 94 Jetta III - Transmission Fluid/Oil Level

stim141 > wrote:
> I bought the 17mm hex at Sears and for the life of me I can't get the port
> to budge. My car has 150K and I think it should be checked and changed.
> Tried some PB blaster last night as well. Would you recommend finding a
> socket 17mm Allen and a breaker bar? With the Sears allen I don't seem to
> have enough leverage with the car on the ground - tomorrow will put it on
> ramps and try again. I guess I could get a steel pipe and slip it on the
> end but the hex key is a little wobbly in the port (both drain and fill
> check) so I don't want to strip it. Any suggestions? On my VR6 I think my

I have a steel pipe, about 2-3 feet long that fits perfectly over the 17mm
hex key and most 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets. I love it. With 150k miles on
the car, if its never been budged, its not unreasonable to assume you'd
need extra leverage.

I've always gotten the thing off with the hex key. With stuff that big,
its hard to strip it -- but, its always possible. Use your best
judgement. A 17mm bit socket is available as a specialty tool, but it'll
be expensive. If you can get a welder, an easy alternative maybe to
simply weld a nut onto a lug bolt. Remember, as long as you can get it
out, you can replace it with a new one. If you can't, and you strip it,
you've got a problem.

> speedo is at the back of the trans near the manifold downpipe - the Bentley
> doesn't show it - is this correct?

On the A2's its on the driver's side of the car near the reverse light
switch. It's pretty obvious because there's a greyish-green speedometer
cable (maybe 8mm in diameter) running down to it. If the car doesn't have
a speedo cable it might be less obvious. Don't even think about trying to
remove either of the 17mm set screws until you have the speedo hole open
-- and I wouldn't even mess with the "fill hole" anyway. Also, it should
go without saying, but don't dump fluid onto your clutch/flywheel through
the sight plug.