Old July 24th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

Default engine pull toughness scale 1 to 10

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:11:33 -0400, "NotMe" > wrote:

>"LLBrown" > wrote in message
t...
>|I am considering taking the engine out to have new valves and springs taken
>| care of. The engine pops through the exhaust when it is warm and looses
>all
>| power.
>|
>| I am ok with my hands, I can build things, I have replaced water pumps in
>| tight squeezes and timing belts in a Geo Metro.
>|
>| How hard, on a scale of 1 to 10 , is taking the engine out with a jack and
>| the correct hand tools (after disconnecting wires and hoses)??? Are those
>4
>| engine support nuts really, really hard to reach?
>|
>| a 1-10 job?
>
>My 16 y.o. grand daughter can do a R&R in ~ 4 hour. No specal tools except
>for two HD floor jack and jack stands.
>
>I've been doing them for near 50 years and it takes me a day to a day and a
>half (minus beer runs and creeper naps).

Creepy naps? Oh, creeper naps.

I do it differently than most folks - take off the deck lid, then take the
top of the engine off (fan, generator, carb, oil cooler, etc), so I don't
have to jack the car up so high before pulling the engine. Probably about
1-1.5 hours the last time I pulled it (1996). Probably slower to put in
because I'm cleaning and replacing and tuning as I go.
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm