Old June 7th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default Gas mileage

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
> motorhead wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>> How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in
>> tires only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

> As much as I like my '97 TJ SE, the 4 banger auto gets maybe 13 MPG.
> I have 235/75R15 tires on it.

Have you ever replaced the O2 sensor? They do drift over time and
cause the engine to run rich. Thing is that small drift doesn't
cause a fault and you can only actually see it with a scope or the
high buck scantool.

I also ran across the concept that the battery can be a MPG drain
if it can't hold a proper charge. Makes sense if you think about
the alternator drag trying to maintain a weak battery.

with gas prices the way they are, every fraction helps. :/

--
DougW