Old June 8th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_28_]

Default Gas mileage

"motorhead" > wrote in message
> Hey Guys,
> How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in tires
> only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

I'm getting 23-25 but I live in the mountains and hardly ever go over 60
except when going downhill. I also have a cat-back, electric radiator fan
and Turbo City Rock-It! air tube. I believe the speed thing is key. 55-60
mph, max. Well sometimes I can't help myself. One time I had it going 85
and passed a CJ-7. If you really want better mileage put 205/75R15 tires on
it, or put low profile tires on stock rims. Even with 4.11 gears I think my
4.0 cylindre YJ is geared a little too high, even for highway use.

There are some performance goodies for the 2.5 litre engine, and in my
experience they help mileage a lot more than power, but that's what you want
now, right? A cat-back is probably a good start.

Cheers,

Earle