Old July 14th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

Default iRacing and real names?

> Libel/slander is when your reputation is reduced in the eyes of right
> thinking people.

That's not the legal definition, from wiki:

"communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or
implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product,
group, government or nation a negative image"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

> I can't see any way that a wrongly attributed public warning on RSC
> can damage you materially.

> Nor can I see a miscarriage of justice regarding iRacing's sporting
> code causing you problems.

Defamation doesn't require "material" damage, if you're implying that
it's finiancially related.

> If you took any of this to a judge you would be laughed out of court.

Depends on how good a lawyer you have. Some lawyers are experts
at turning molehills in to mountains when there's money to be made
from a civil lawsuit. Note that the income for civil courts and
their staffing depends on a steady flow of civil lawsuits.7

In both cases though (RSC or iRacing), a person could simply choose
to use a persona instead of a real name.

What is strange is that the wording of the terms of use mentions
the usage of real names, but it never states that using a real name
is a requirement for using the iRacing service. So I'm guessing that
it's just a community standard to use real names as opposed to
a requirement? Still for those members that do use their real
names, or if they use personas that a reasonable number of
people would associate with their real names, then laws regarding
defamation would apply. If I were running a business, it's a risk
I wouldn't be willing to take.