Old January 11th 07, 03:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
Wolf

Default TheTtruthAabout Digital Cameras

Dave Moorman wrote:
> In article >,
> "Episteme" > wrote:
>
>> Some may find this interesting?
>>
>> http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/...ogues-posts-2/
>>

>> E.

> I think he's right. I use a 5 MP camera and have made very good-looking
> 18x24 prints with it.
>
> Dave

Sorry, Dave, but you didn't make the print with your camera, but with
your printer. That's not a quibble. The printer received imaging data
from your imaging software and translated it into data it could use to
print that 18x24 image. These two elements in the process have a lot to
do with how well your prints turned out. Fact is that up to a point
smoothing algorithms can compensate for the limited information in a
small image file. Your printer software is built to do just that, since
it's designed to make larger than usual prints.

You will find that if you print an image with very small detail (such as
the leaves of trees in the background) that the limitations of the 5MP
camera (and its lens as well) will begin to show. But since we rarely
look at a picture with a magnifying glass, these limitations will
usually not affect the appearance of the image "at normal viewing
distance". You will still have a pleasing print, so enjoy!

HTH