Old November 18th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 2002 Jetta GLX VR6 Transmission Problem

On Nov 18, 12:22*am, stueckes > wrote:
> I havn’t had the tranny flushed, and I live in Calif. It has gotten
> colder, but not below 50 degrees. I want to flush the tranny, but want
> to find out what the problem is first. I do quite a bit of work on
> vehicles, so do you think it is wise to attempt this myself?
> Everything I hear is "take it to the dealer".
>
> "Ears" wrote:
>
> *> I'm always looking at the simple things:
> *>
> *> Have you had a trans. flush lately? *Is the weather getting
> *> colder
> *> where you live? *Have you considered synthetic, high-grade
> *> trans.
> *> fluid?

With transmissions, especially electronic-shifter automatics, "take it
to an expert" is the only way to fly. The ways you can screw it up are
many and varied. Nor is it likely that you have the equipment required
to do a proper flush. The fluid you leave behind will be that fluid
that inevitably contains the most garbage.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA