Old November 19th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 2002 Jetta GLX VR6 Transmission Problem

The JF506E 5-speed transmission is made by the Japanese company
JATCO.

Sounds like the clutch (and/or brake band, if any) responsible for 2-3
shifts are slipping if the RPMs go way up. Otherwise the accumulator
may not be doing its job, but doesn't sound like it's the case. That's
why I'd do more frequent ATF changes and filter/strainer changes as
well (< 20K miles) starting when new.

I'd drop the pan, clean it, inspect the wear particles (amount,
types), replace the filter/strainer. And then refill with HIGH MILEAGE
ATF. The HM ATF is thicker and has more friction modifiers and seal
conditioners. If this doesn't improve it then you already know what's
next.