Old August 31st 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
afx

Default Can you replace just the rubber hose on a transmission cool line?

On Aug 31, 9:29*am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> AFX wrote:
> > I have a transmission cool line that broke loose from its clamp and
> > got a hole rubbed in it by the drivebelt. The only problem is getting
> > the entire line assembly off is near impossible with its location. My
> > question is, since the line is metal with a rubber hose that looks to
> > be crimped on can I just replace the rubber hose?

> > Sorry for the quality of the pic had to use my crap cam.

> > Pic
> >http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...n/100_0374.jpg

> > Running a
> > 1998 Chrysler Concorde 3.2l v6

> > Im lookin for an answer I wanna hear Bill Putney!!

> Pshaw!!
>
> Just buy some power steering hose of the right size (measure OD of the
> metal tube with some calipers) at the auto parts store and put it on the
> metal tubing with regular screw clamps. *There's very little pressure in
> that line, so even if there's no retention bump on the metal tube, the
> friction should retain it fine - just get the clamps nice and tight.
> Use a dremel/Mototool with cutoff wheel to remove the crimp ferrule.
> And of course make sure it isn't going to rub against anything.
>
> If you don't want to replace the whole length of rubber hose, cut out
> the bad section and make the splice using the right size brake tubing
> and screw clamps. * That will be possible and make for an easier repair
> if the hole is away from the crimp ( preferably at least an inch - can't
> tell from the photo). *Just be sure to bend the tubing if needed for
> hose routing and debur the ends of the tubing so as not to cut thru the
> rubber hose from the inside over time. *If the hole is too near the
> crimp, then put a new short section of p.s. hose at that end and adapt
> to the remaining section of rubber hose with a short length of brake tubing.
>
> And of course you could cut off the metal tubing with the crimp - use a
> tubing cutter, not a saw or cut-off wheel to minimize metal filings in
> the system.
>
> Good luck with that - it's a tight area to work in. *Maybe you can
> disconnect that line at the radiator end which might allow you to get
> the part you need to work on more out in the open (below the engine).
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

See now those are the answers I like to hear

The hole is about 4 inches from the metal crimp so I think Im going to
go with your cut and couple idea with some good tight hoses.

Funny thing was I had almost the exact same problem on a computer I
have thats water cooled and I did the same thing willy nilly no
questions asked. If I only had that same confidence with cars Ide be
set

Thanks again Bill. If you ever have any computer problems gimme a yell.