Old December 2nd 04, 07:02 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"RPhillips47" > wrote in message
> "gerard.gold" wrote:
>
> >I walked in and got this check around three weeks ago, and a couple of

weeks
> >ago I was sure it had gone through (the name had a minor misspelling, and

> >two year old address was used). I guess a lot of folks who responded

were
> >right. I should have pushed harder sooner, not just before I planned to
> >leave town. On the other hand, the deposit was for an ML (not a specific
> >one), and at the time I told them I was not then interested, I was told

they
> >would have no problem selling their inventory. They (the ML's, not Smythe
> >:-)) were pretty hot even then.

> I have followed your story from your first posting and have come to the
> conclusion that money is, apparently, of little value and of no real

concern to
> you. I am also surprised with some of the responses you received

indicating the
> dealer was at fault and not you. Quite honestly, had you filed a complaint

with
> the DMV and I was the DMV official reviewing the compalint I would have
> contacted the dealer and told them to give you back the money but they

could
> take two years to do it. Likewise would have been my decision as a judge

had
> you taken the matter to small claims court.

Actually, in certain jurisdictions if you wait too long to claim the money
it reverts
to uncollected funds and there is a procedure that it gets transferred to
the state
treasury. ;-)

The story reminded me of the movie Caddyshack, remember when Chevy Chase's
girlfriend comes over and sees uncashed checks laying all over the place for
tens of thousands of dollars. ;-)

Ted